Vision and Values at St Matthew's
Our vision and values are at the core of everything we do. They underpin our teaching and learning, and provide an environment which prepares our pupils to be confident, happy citizens.
Vision Statement: “To create and nurture a secure and caring Christian environment where every child can develop in their own faith and learning journey.”
"Go, shine in the world and live as Jesus lived." (Matthew 5: 14-16)
Work Together Aim High Shine Bright
Our vision at Stretton St Matthew’s enables all to flourish and share that light with others. In our school, we “live as Jesus lived” through His example and the parables He told. From these examples and stories, we gain our distinctively Christian whole school values and help others to see a better way of living. Jesus worked together with his disciples who established his Church which led to partnerships in the Bible. Jesus was counter cultural and strong in his convictions; he is an example to leaders and children in terms of what they take on, or not, as we aim high in all that we do. “Go shine in the world” talks to us about how we strive to share with others the work of God, just as Jesus’ example informs how we shine bright and how our example inspires others to flourish. Our whole school values equip pupils and adults to achieve our vision and help to guide and sustain us on our journey to help shape and develop the Christian character of Stretton St Matthew’s. There are opportunities to Work Together, Aim High, Shine Bright embedded across our curriculum offer and extra-curricular opportunities in which every child can develop in their own faith and learning journey. Children have a clear understanding of the vision and values of the school and are able to confidently discuss ways in which they can uphold the school’s values.
Our School Aims
Our aims are directed towards preparing each child for life beyond St Matthew’s. To accomplish this we aspire to:
- Offer an education based upon Christian aims and values.
- Develop a supportive school and classroom climate and ethos which build a sense of connectedness, focus and purpose, the acceptance of emotion and vulnerability, warm relationships and the celebration of difference.
- Provide a curriculum that is:
- relevant to each child’s experience;
- balanced across a range of experiences that make an equal contribution to the child’s development;
- broad in the range of opportunities and experiences which it provides.
- Ensure equal opportunity for every child to realise his/her maximum potential, spiritually, emotionally, physically, socially, creatively and academically.
- Develop high self-expectations and a delight in achieving, encouraging the acquisition of self-responsibility, confidence and independence in learning within a secure, happy working environment.
- Promote respect for the abilities, skills, feelings and needs of others; help children to respect how people are different and celebrate diversity.
- Prepare each child for the opportunities and responsibilities of adult life, enabling them to make a positive contribution to society.
We aim to create a Christian ethos which supports all our children to work together, aim high, shine bright and to celebrate all of their achievements. Our vision and values are at the core of everything that we do. They underpin our teaching and learning, and provide an environment which prepares our pupils to be confident, happy citizens. Our vision aligns with the trust vision to ensure all pupils experience ‘life in all its fullness’ through outstanding learning opportunities. We want our pupils to ‘shine in the world and live as Jesus lived’ by becoming full and rounded individuals with opportunities to develop and pursue ambitions. Our school environment and the behaviour of the pupils demonstrates the way our vision is woven through every aspect of school life at Stretton St Matthew’s, as does the way the children always strive to ‘aim high’ and be the best version of themselves.